Name:
Location: pittsburgh, pa

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bike and Tire options, trail conditions

I've got a few bikes to choose from.

First the ghetto tourer. Built from a cast off hybrid, it is very comfortable and handles surprisingly well. It needs a new fork and chain, but otherwise is ready to roll.

The cyclocross bike would work, but it is fixed and over geared for a trip like this. Both things can be remedied, but I'm not sure if I'm brave/stupid/in shape/ enough to attempt this race fixed. I could always make some swaps with wheels gears etc with the touring bike, but why bother. I'll just ride the tourer if I want gears.

I could also ride the mountain bike, but it is also without gears, and has the rack/disc brake mounting nightmares to overcome.

I'm leaning hard in the direction of the touring bike, but if I can dial in my position on the cross bike and get the gearing squared away, I may think more about riding fixed, or at least single speed.

Tires

I am pretty settled on the 32mm Paselas I have on the touring bike. Wide enough for soft trail conditions and a loaded bike, not so wide that I'm going to feel too sluggish on the long climbs and the road. These tires will fit all three bikes.

I talked to a guy who took a pretty crazy trip in January down the Allegheny Passage to the C and O canal trail. He had to abandon the trip in Maryland after he was caught in a blizzard, but his experience on the PA trail was of interest to me. He ran into some serious mud, and spent a bit of time pushing his bike.

I've been told the trail will be resurfaced in the spring, but I wonder if this will be before or after our travels?

e

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home